I absolutely love Colorado. At least three times in my life I've considered moving to Denver. I applied to a college (maybe two?) in the Centennial State, it was one of our location options for starting a church, and for grad school I even had a class schedule set before realizing I was supposed to be in Dallas. So being up here for a few days this week was a true joy.
But, I realized something strange this week - for several reasons, I love Fort Worth more than Denver. I didn't think I'd ever say that, and in many ways it surprised me. I mean, yes, the mountains are a mere few minutes away (& I quite enjoyed an afternoon hike on Tuesday). Yes, the high was in the upper 70's and I got to work outside between conference sessions. And yes, there are very many other really cool things about Denver. But here a few things I realized this week, that remind me why I love my city more than the one I'm currently in:
- In Fort Worth, it doesn't cost $12 to park downtown for an hour.
- Even with the many roads currently closed, traffic is far worse in Denver.
- In many parts of Denver, you can't even see the mountains - especially because of the smog.
- Cost of living - whoa.
- The current renewal/revitalization of Fort Worth's downtown.
- REAL Mexican food (or, probably better said, REAL Tex-Mex. But still...)
- The people - in general, plus family, friends, etc.
- I quite enjoyed my hike this week, but the altitude got to me fairly quickly - Denver makes me feel old and sore.
- Fort Worth is more laid-back & still has a small-town feel, but is still close enough to Dallas for big events, etc. if needed.
- UPDATED: How could I forget the longhorns?!
So be it - I don't want Colorado to become commonplace and lose it's Colorado-ness that it currently have in my mind. Colorado will always be "that place" for me. But, as this week has shown, in several reasons on top of the ones above, I love Fort Worth. I love living there. I love the opportunity there. And I love what we're getting to see happen as our city experiences all kinds of renewal.
Most random post ever? Maybe, but I'm excited to wrap up stuff here tomorrow & jump on a plane to get back to Cowtown!
What are some reasons you love our city? Or whatever city you live in?